Each is located on either side of spinal cord in the back underneath the rib cage. Rarely in some individuals by birth there is only one kidney.
Each kidney weigh 150 – 170 gms and it is about 4.5 inch long.
Blood flow through kidney is more than brain, liver or heart. Only 0.1% blood filter from the kidney and create urine.
What are the functions of kidney?
- Removing waste and water from the blood
- Balancing chemicals in your body
- Releasing hormones
- Helping control blood pressure
- Helping to produce blood cells
- Producing vitamin D, which keeps the bones strong and healthy.